Monday, January 05, 2009

Mandappam, Ramanathapuram, India


My South Tamilnadu Tour's 2nd day. I had reached Karaikuddi to see the Chettinad Houses that are a sight for people to see, on 25th Dec 08. Next day morning I woke up before 5 am got ready and got behind the wheels and just as the clock struck 6 am the sun rose and I started...and drove through NH-210 towards Devikottai then Tiruvadanai to just bypass Devipattinam (I went here last time when I visited Madurai- that is also a religious place with Hindu Mythological significance) to Ramanathapuram and then to Mandappam via NH-49 to halt there (135 kms total). The road map is shown at the end. It had rained the last night and so the day was cloudy. I really wonder how people get colourful pictures of cloudy days.. either my bad luck to have only dull scenes on a cloudy day or some do digital modification of the photos. In one way it is good that the photos are actually showing the original cloudy atmosphere..... but some days I do not feel happy! Simply not happy shooring such dull pictures.. ...

You can see how the rain in the night has flooded the farmlands by the roads. NH-49.

This is near the only petrol pump outlet in Mandappam. The photos below are behind the pump. This place is just 5-10 mts before the Pamban Bridge connecting Rameswaram with mainland....
Basically all fishermen at their various activities.

This is a StarFish, covered by sand.. I should have removed the sand.!! So I had to edit this photo to make the fish come out clearly.





Fish and Crabs!! Anyone??
And not to forget snails. !!!!




The detailed Chennai to Mandappam road map can be downloaded from here or from the sidebar link. Karaikudi to Ramanathapuram = 52 kms. Ramanathapuram to Mandappam= 35 kms. The Pambam Bridge to Rameswaram.

By the way Mandappam is just near Pamban Bridge. You can see that in my later post or the earlier one on Rameswaram. At Mandappam you will find no place to stay except a Govt Rest House available only through source.. I had so I got to stay there.. There are no eating places here.. Nearest ones will be at Rameswaram or 45 kms behind at Ramanathapuram.

Here you will also find a Tamil Refuge camp (Sri Lankan ones) and fishing community. The Govt Rest house is near that at the top of a hill.

In my next message I will talk about Kurusadai island & Gulf of Mannar) for which I had come here. Of course here people come to see Rameswaram Temple mainly. My earlier visit pictures are here for Rameswaram. And here is where I stayed- the only place at Mandapam besides a Coast Guard Mess probably - I am not sure but I did see coast guard. This is the Govt Bungalow. Old British Structure... not kep very well. But Surprise Surprise.. President Pratibha Patil was to visit this place (and did visit on 28th Dec 2009 to visit Rameswaram Temple) earlier and some 25 lacs was allocated to spruce up the bungalow.. Though her visit did not happen at that time due to cyclone and the money did not get used (she was not to stay here but just halt) JUST IMAGINE!! Poor People die without water and a complete meal in India.. and our Great Leaders waste taxpayer's money!!



No comments:

Image Map from some of my Photos - Click to visit the linked blogs

Colonial days at Calcutta, India Agra Fort Madurai Temple Architecture Fruits, India Silk Worm Cocoons, India Fish Market, India Happy Children, India Logging in Andaman Islands, India Tramcar, Calcutta, India Dharamshala, India Snowy Roads, India Painting by my wife, India Catwalk, India Fashion Show, India Beas River, Manali, India Autumn Leaves, Manali, India Snow in Manali, India Vagator Beach, Goa Mussoorie, India Mysore Palace Jaisalmer Desert, India Tamil Marriage Indian Market Scene Rajasthani Village Girl Birds of India Bay of Bengal, Pondycherry Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary Hogenakkal Water Falls, India Indian Roads Gulab Jamun, India Globalisation, India Indian Map Indian City from Sky Clay Pot Art, India Himalayas, India Benares, India Indian Palace